Lagos State Environment and Special Offences Enforcement Unit – Lagos State Government
Lagos State Environment and Special Offences Enforcement Unit
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF LAGOS SATET ENVIRONMENATL SANITATION AND SPECIAL OFFENSES (TASK FORCE)
(A) The Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Enforcement Agency (Task Force) was established by the Environmental Sanitation Edict 1991 with commencement date on 4th November, 1991. The Agency was subsequently re-designed as Environmental Sanitation Enforcement Agency vides Law Cap E6.Law of Lagos State 2003. Its duties include but not limited the following.
- To address the problems of poor sanitary conditions and indiscriminate slum settlements and shanties in Lagos State.
- It exercises regulatory powers in respect of the following;
- Arrest and prosecute of street traders
- Arrest and prosecute of violators of the provision of Road Traffic Law 2012
- Arrest and prosecute of person who converts streets and public roads for religions, social and commercial function.
- Arrest and prosecute of road side mechanic operators.
- Arrest and prosecute of touts and persons who illegally issue tickets to motorists on public roads and streets.
- Liaising with the Lagos State Film and Census Board in arresting and prosecuting persons who sells, hawk or display pornographic videos or uncensored films.
- Liaising with LAMATA in arresting violators of BRT dedicated lanes and corridors.
- Arrest and prosecution of quarks in the medical profession; this it does in conjunction with the Ministry of Health.
- To carry out any other duties as may be directed by the Governor.
Under Chapter E6 Scheduled. Section 4 (1) of the Environmental Sanitation Law and the Lagos State Road Traffic Law 2012 which specified Environmental Offences throughout the State, the Task Force is empowered to impound or take custody of any vehicles, goods, wares, articles or things found in any place that is prohibited under any of the Laws specified in the Scheduled of law.
PUBLIC AFFAIRS UNIT
LAGOS STATE ENVIRONMENTAL AND SPECIAL OFFENCES (ENFORCEMENT) UNIT, GOVERNOR’S OFFICE.
The Secretariat, Off Governor’s Road, Opposite LASEPA, Obafemi Awolowo Way, Alausa, Ikeja.
(D) VISION STATEMENT
“TO BE A PUBLIC FRIEMDLY INSTITUTION IN ITS PRO-ACTIVE ENFORCEMENT OF LAWS AND REGULATIONS OF THE STATE”
“TO DELIVER QUALITATIVE, AFFORDABLE AND BEST SECURITY SERVICE TO THE POPULACE OF THE STATE BY APPLYING APPROPRIATE CIVILIZED APPROACH THROUGH HIGHLY MOTIVATED PERSONNEL”
We are committed to;
- High standard of Professionalism.
- Impacting positively to the society.
- Team work.
- High ethical, value and moral standards.
- Civic relationship with the public.